When you feel rejected, there are a lot of ways you can respond. Here are common ways that people react to rejection:
- Attack back.
- Search for clarity.
- Dismiss the other person.
- Deny that they were rejected and act as if nothing happened.
- Highlight positives to minimize the effects of the rejection.
- Take it personally – proof that there is something terribly wrong with them.
- Believe that once rejected, they are likely to be rejected by all others.
- Avoid activities where the possibility of rejection exists.
- Imagine that rejection has occurred, when it actually hasn’t.
- Take the blame for the rejection as if they have done something wrong or something to deserve the rejection.
- Expect to be rejected rejection in day-to-day situations.
How do you react to feeling rejected? Knowing how YOU personally react will allow you to see yourself in a different light, allow you to see your response to rejection and change if necessary.